Wednesday, September 30, 2009

First Piece - Revamped

Well, it's been a while since I wrote.

Last week I had my first piece played, I completely revamped it. I initially thought that the last section was out of character. But the reaction of the class was that is was perfectly in character. One of the main comments was, brought up by Dr. Ross, was creating a smoother transition between sections. Which is something I'm going to go back and do when all three pieces are done, I think I could create some meaningful connection between the three then. I started writing the second piece this week, and it opens with a similar motif that ended the first, I think it'll end up being the third of the three, since it is very similar in character. I need to create something contrasting for the second.


1 comment:

  1. Good entry; glad you found the suggestions helpful!

    Regarding your statement, "Which is something I'm going to go back and do when all three pieces are done, I think I could create some meaningful connection between the three then", here's a comment I just made on Simon's blog, when he said something similar:

    In my experience, composers often do better to edit/revise their music before moving on to another composition, simply because the ideas are fresher in the mind (and, quite frankly, student composers often neglect to come back and fix problems once they have moved on to another composition).

    There is no right or wrong way to approach this, of course, as long as the improvements you wish to make eventually get made.

    ReplyDelete